Jewish Identity Today

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Generational Gap in Reform Judaism

My great-aunt and great-uncle recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. All of their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren came in to town for the event. As my synagogue only has 7 members, I convinced my dad that he should put together a Friday night service since this could possibly be the last time that a minyan comes together for a happy occasion in our synagogue. He finally consented to do so (after other family members agreed). Since I'm the "Jewish Studies" student in the family he always asks me to look over everything Jewish that he does...when I looked over his service, I found that he had left out many essential prayers in the service. His response was of course, "Sarah, we're reform so it doesn't matter." This is one of my biggest pet peeves in a religious argument. We argued for a bit and eventually I won. But it really made me think about the two different types of Reform that he and I practice. It wasn't until Monday that I was really able to put a label on these types: my father is classical reform and I am today's reform (though I do not like labels at all). When we began reading through the Reform Movement's platforms it all began to make sense to me. My synagogue at home is completely ran by older lay leaders...and an organ. We only pray in English. While my brother and I (and even my mother) had the opportunity to learn Hebrew at a synagogue 60 miles away, my father still only knows six words in Hebrew: Shema Yisrael Adonai Elohainu Adonai Echad. Five words really...since one is a repeat. I also had the opportunity to go to Jewish camp evey summer to get a better Jewish education. My father on the other hand ended his Jewish education after his confirmation, which happened before the 1976 Platform. In class on Monday I realized that this explains why he can't understand my desire to move to Israel upon graduation. He was never taught to love and support Israel as I was in Religious School and at camp. With the newer (1999) move towards more Hebrew in services and the more recent move towards spirituality it seems that Reform Judaism has completely changed it's focus since my father's time. And it makes my father and I two completely different Jews. I still appreciate going home and attending services with the organ. I also enjoy using the 1967 Union Prayer Book and singing from the red hymnal ( "G-d is in His Holy Temple" still remains the favorite of the congregation). I think it helps now that I understand the differences between us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah C. said...

I didn't really mean it to sound as though it is a bad difference between our "Reform" and the "Reform" of our parents/grandparents. Like my camp director used to say, "Change is neither good nor bad, change is change." I just find it really interesting now that I am able to understand the changes and differences that I have always noticed.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home