Jewish Identity Today

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A New "Jewish Language"

This may be a rather random post, but it is just something that I was thinking about on my walk home from class today.

We talked a moment about how Jews aren't the only ones that control Jewish identity. This made me think about the way that non-Jews have taken on using Jewish words or Jewish references which come from the American media and pop culture. For example, I have heard lots of non-Jews say things like, "I don't bowl on Shabbas" when they don't want to do something. Or "that's not kosher" when they want to say something is not nice or not acceptable. I think it's really interesting how these Jewish references, or "phrases" if you will, have become mainstream due to their exposure by the entertainment industry. Do you think it's because Jews are so big in the industry? I have never heard anyone say, "That's not hallel."

I almost like the references such as those mentioned above. Even though they are not used in the correct context ("kosher" never means food, and I'm pretty sure that none of my friends at home understand why a Jew wouldn't bowl on Shabbas) it makes me feel like they are at least making an attempt to understand something about me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home