Jewish Identity Today

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Neshama Carlebach

Neshama means "soul" or "spirit" in Hebrew. What a fitting name for a child of Shlomo Carlebach. He was such a spiritual man, and it seems that his daughter has the ability to touch others souls through music just as he was. She has a beautiful voice, and I really like the production of the songs.

The music included on this album covers a wide range. Neshama sings traditional Jewish songs such as "Adon Olam", music of her fathers, and a few of her own songs. There is a little bit of everything on this cd.

My favorite song (that I was able to listen to from the website) was "Niggun Neshama". A niggun is a melody without words. I love to sing niggunim. It reminds me of Kabbalat Shabbat at camp. Together my entire camp would walk from our cabins to the flagpole all dressed in white to welcome the Sabbath--and we would all sing a niggun. There is something magical about niggunim; a song without words just leaves so much open to the imagination. You are free to imagine the song is about anything you want. With no pre-prescribed words, the mind wonders and you are welcome to connect in your own personal way. I like upbeat melody that Neshama sings in her niggun. The tune is very catchy and easy to get caught up in. I can just imagine humming that tune at camp with a rabbi telling us all a story about the sanctification of the Sabbath or the importance loving your neighbor.

I think that Neshama is a very talented musician, and I really respect the fact that she uses her music to continue what her father started: reviving Jewish spirtuality through music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home